Although social isolation is imperative for now to keep everyone safe, we can still engage in social activities through a smart device, in the comfort and safety of your apartment. We are working on making many of our classes, lectures and group meetings available to you virtually from your home computer, laptop, tablet or iPad.
Below you will find various educational, cultural and fitness links to access on your computer or tablet:
Educational/lifelong learning/cultural stimulation:
Free Musicals (14 day free trial):
Free live opera audio streams:
The Port Washington library has some online resources:
Listen to audiobooks on Audible:(need to have a subscription)
The Metropolitan Opera:
Silver Sneakers: (Free access to exclusive classes for yoga, cardio, balance and more.)
List of 30 different Virtual Tours:
NOW YOU KNOW” ONLINE MAGAZINE- COMMUNITY SUBSCRIPTION:
Please enjoy a community-wide subscription to “NOW YOU KNOW”, an online news program that everyone in the Amsterdam community can access via home or library computer, tablet or smart phone. Now You Know offers high-interest news and feature articles in a weekly online news magazine. It provides background information for each article, and for some articles there are video links as well. Each article also ends with a self-correcting comprehension quiz to sharpen memory skills. Now You Know builds a wealth of new knowledge among regular readers, encouraging lifelong learning. In addition to news articles, each issue of Now You Know contains a This Week in History story, a reminiscing article called Remember When, a Country of the Week feature, and a tab to click on for Word Searches, Crossword puzzles, Quizzes and answers all related to the news articles of the week.
Enter www.newscurrents.com in the address field of your Internet browser. Click on the blue Log In button.
- After entering your username and password, you will be in the password-protected subscriber area.
- Enter username: 11050
- and Password: amste
- Click on the tab at the top of the page: “Programs for Senior Adults”
- Scroll down and click on: “Now You Know”
- Health care professionals from Caring People, home care agency will be scheduling appointments to show residents how to use Zoom for group classes and video calls with friends and family. Caring People staff are health care professionals and take all necessary health precautions when entering resident apartments.
- Connected Living is also working on making video presentations available on our 591 channel. This is not fully operational yet, so we will start with Zoom video conferencing so residents can participate in classes using their computer, iPad, Tablet or smart phone.
We are coordinating a schedule of virtual classes, taught by some of your favorite instructors.
- Core Flex Fitness with David Chin
- Chair Yoga and Meditation with Mia
- Latin Dance Fitness with Yoli
We will add more once we have success with the first grouping. A schedule will be forthcoming as soon as all of our Zoom preparations are complete-hopefully in the next few days. Please consider allowing us to help you learn how to Zoom, and let us know if you need a device- Tablets are not expensive and you can purchase them on Amazon.
We’re also planning on group Zoom meetings for:
- The Great Courses- educational lectures
- Resident groups: poetry, current events, Italian and French Conversation groups
- Meditation, Spiritual Groups
- Virtual Museum Tours
To help you participate in these virtual classes and events, we will need to know if you have a smart device or not, and if you would like help learning how to use Zoom. If you do not have a device, but would like to get one, please let us know. We will need your email address or smart phone, cell number so we can send you invitations to participate. We will also email links to many online sources for cultural and educational stimulation.
We’ll get through this
Together, we will make good things happen by maintaining our connection to each other through virtual get togethers; and opportunities for fitness, culture and lifelong learning — everything we value in community life. This doesn’t have to stop because we have to adapt to this change. We can adapt to new ways of engaging in them — just for now.
For your safety and the safety of others in our community, I again, cannot emphasize strongly enough the importance of remaining within our community unless it is medically necessary to go out. Over the coming days and weeks, please pay attention to and follow directives issued by the management of The Amsterdam at Harborside.