Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update
In light of concerns regarding coronavirus (COVID-19), we want to keep you informed of proactive measures we are undertaking to protect our residents, staff and visitors from exposure and prepare for the possible spread of illness. Our priority is the health and safety of our residents, staff and visitors. Accordingly, we are closely monitoring announcements from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) and New York Department of Health (NYSDOH) and following agency guidance in addition to consulting industry resources.
Please note that we are constantly evaluating our policies and protocols in view of new information and they are subject to change. We will do our best to keep you apprised of changes by updating this notice.
STEPS THE TUTTLE CENTER IS TAKING
Prior to concerns about COVID-19, we had infection prevention and control procedures in place to maximize the health and safety of the vulnerable population we serve. We have enhanced our existing protocols to minimize the risk of exposure and to provide clinical and operational personnel the information and tools necessary to address the situation as it evolves.
The following is a summary of measures undertaken to date consistent with regulatory guidance:
Emergency Management Team
- Led by our Executive Director and Health Care Administrator, our team is in constant communication working together to develop efficient and effective procedures and protocols to minimize the risk of exposure and prepare for possible spread.
- We monitor and have been communicating with the NYSDOH and other regulators as well as trade associations and other health care providers to obtain the most up to date information to allow us to evaluate and implement the most effective prevention and control protocols.
- Our clinicians are vigilantly monitoring resident health.
- We have trained our staff to identify residents who might be at risk of COVID-19 and are prepared to institute precautions for these residents if the need arises. We have conducted in-services on handwashing and infection control protocols.
Employee and Contractor Screening
- We are screening employees and contractors for symptoms or potential exposure to COVID-19 to prevent the introduction of the COVID-19 infection.
- We have increased the frequency of cleaning on high touch surfaces and high trafficked public areas with hospital-grade bleach disinfectant. This is done daily, and in many areas, multiple times a day.
- We have made hand sanitizer readily available for residents, visitors and staff.
Based on guidance published by CMS, NYSDOH and the Governor of New York Andrew Cuomo, as a preventative measure to limit outside exposure to our residents in The Tuttle Center, we have stopped all outside visitation except end-of-life and those that are medically necessary. No one may enter if they have fever, shortness of breath, cough, nasal congestion, runny nose, sore throat, nausea, vomiting and/or diarrhea as noted in the poster below published by the NYSDOH.
We know that this will be challenging for our residents and their families and loved ones. We appreciate your understanding and cooperation in order to protect the health and safety of your loved ones.
If you have any questions, please call our concierge desk at 516-472-6688 or you can reach the Director of Nursing at 516-472-6643.