Care, comfort and community
Update: We are excited to announce that The Tuttle Center is currently open for visitation. Visitation is by appointment only at this time (this does not include hospice). Please bring a copy of your verified COVID-19 test with you when you visit (PCR or Rapid). Please continue to wear a mask, social distance and wash/sanitize your hands frequently. Our visitation guidelines are in place for the health and safety of our residents and employees and we will continue to monitor all guidance from CMS, the CDC and the New York State Department of Health. Thank you.
Visitation guidelines are subject to change based on NYS Department of Health regulations.
Personal and meaningful care for your loved ones
If you know someone suffering from memory loss, who requires age-related support or has Alzheimer’s disease, you know what a demanding, even heartbreaking challenge it can be. The professional Memory Support services at The Tuttle Center at The Amsterdam at Harborside in Port Washington offers expert care to fully support those with cognitive issues to enhance their quality of life. Every Memory Support residence in The Tuttle Center is a private suite to help create an environment and an experience closer to assisted living.
Using the latest in cognitive therapy, our Memory Support team works one-on-one with our residents to help improve cognitive behavior in a safe and caring manner. Our therapies are guided by the principles of Maslow’s hierarchy of needs, where self-actualization results in peak experiences regardless of memory loss or cognitive ability. We create an environment where residents experience safety, security, belonging, love and esteem. We also utilize the Dakim Brain Fitness program of cognitive stimulation therapy, which can significantly improve cognition and behavior. And, for those residents displaying aggression and an inability to self-soothe, our Snoezelen room offers a multisensory experience where residents can retreat from overstimulation, pacify symptoms of restless behavior, explore, relax and connect with the world.
We pride ourselves on being one of the best Memory Support care communities on Long Island, so you can rest assured that your loved one is getting the best care with personalized attention to create more meaningful moments and more fulfilling days.
- On-site licensed nursing staff available 24/7
- Medication administration
- Assistance with activities of daily living
- Chef-prepared cuisine to meet special dietary needs
- Emphasis placed on understanding and responding to each individual’s wants and needs
- Access to a full continuum of care
- Special activities and socialization programming
- Exercise to help maintain motor coordination with activities such as Tai Chi, yoga and chair fitness
- Music therapy to stimulate memory and create uplifting feelings
- Art therapy to enhance fine motor coordination
- Cognitive therapy using games, books and trivia to boost brain function and strengthen the mind
- Lifestyle stations to help calm disruptive behaviors and restore feelings of purpose and emotions, utilizing special mementos that include a wedding dress, tux and top hat, manual typewriter, baby doll, shoeshine kit and sewing machine
- Well-designed, private studio apartment residences
- Comfortable, relaxing common living areas
- Dining venue specifically appointed to address the needs of residents
- Secure garden courtyard with walking path, outdoor seating and dining areas
- Beauty salon/barbershop