Moving is hard work. The longer you’ve lived in your home, the more likely it is that you’ve accumulated many belongings. This can leave you feeling a little daunted about the prospect of downsizing and relocating. Even when you are excited to get settled in to your new apartment at a continuing care retirement community (CCRC), figuring out how and where to start preparing for a move can be overwhelming.
This is where the support of an experienced, professional senior move manager is helpful.
What Is A Senior Move Manager?
A group of professionals who have experience and training in assisting older adults with the physical and emotional aspects of moving are known as senior move managers. These specialists can be a lifesaver for retirees who want to leave the details of moving to someone else.
While you can hire professional movers to do the heavy lifting, most moving companies aren’t experts at managing the unique needs of older adults. A senior move manager, by contrast, has experience and training in how to support seniors through the highs and lows of downsizing and relocating.
A senior move manager can work with you to create a relocation plan that includes any or all of the tasks you need to complete before you move to a CCRC. Here are some of the ways a senior move manager can provide assistance:
- Developing a timeline for the move
- Working on a floor plan for your new apartment
- Sorting and packing belongings you will be taking with you
- Organizing an estate sale or online auction to sell items you won’t need
- Arranging for a local charity to pick up unneeded items
- Selecting and supervising professional movers
- Hiring a cleaning crew to tidy up the old house
- Unpacking and setting up your new apartment
Use your zip code to search the online database for the National Association of Senior Move Managers (NASMM) to find a certified professional near you.
Questions to Ask Senior Move Manager Candidates
As is the case when you are hiring any contractor, asking the right questions is vital to making an informed choice. This list of questions can help you to choose a senior move manager with confidence:
- How many seniors have you assisted in a move?
- How many years have you been a senior move manager?
- Are you a NASSM certified professional or have you completed another formal training program?
- Are you bonded and insured for theft or damage?
- Are you fully insured for liability and workers’ compensation for your employees?
- How do you charge for your services—hourly or by the job?
- Will you provide a written contract that fully explains pricing and services?
- Can you provide a list of three to five references of past clients?
Finding a partner to help keep you on track with your move can make the entire process of downsizing and relocating go more smoothly.
View Our Floor Plans Online
If The Amsterdam is on your list of CCRCs under consideration, we have an online tool that can make downsizing a little easier. Share our floor plans with your senior move manager so the two of you can personalize your new apartment. From figuring out where to put the sofa to designating a spot for your favorite chair, our iFloor Plan program makes the transition go more smoothly.
Our experienced team members are also happy to help answer questions and address concerns about downsizing and relocating. Call us today at 516.472.6636!